Sponsored Research Projects
IIT Delhi lays strong emphasis on the sponsored research, collaborative research funded by the international agencies and strong industrial interaction. The institute has set up modern laboratories and the supporting infrastructure.
The sponsored research has also emerged as a crucial factor in the creation of the infrastructure while strengthening the facilities in some of the emerging areas of technology.
The faculty of the institute maintains strong industrial links by undertaking consultancy assignments. This includes job of varied nature like troubleshooting, product and process development and design checks. In addition to these activities, the faculty members also run short-term company specific training programmes. To achieve enhanced industrial participation in the engineering education, the institute has taken initiative to start the industry sponsored masters degree programmes.
The Industrial Research and Development (IRD) Unit is responsible to provide administrative support and project management for the different types of project undertaken by the faculty of institute.
- Principal Investigator (PI) of a sanctioned project is considered to be the prime interface between the funding agency and IRD and is the operational head of the project.
- Most of the powers rest with the PI. In case of relaxations of rules, Dean (R&D)/Associate Dean (R&D) accords approval.
- Separate Recruitment Process – Casual Appointments, Yearly renewable contracts (walk-in and shortlisting based).
- Student Assistantships are offered.
- Quicker Purchases under Projects.
- Corporate Credit Card Scheme for expenditure upto 2 Lakh
- 20% Administrative Overheads Charges are charged from Funding Agencies.
- Generation of Professional Development Fund of PI/Co-PIs out of Administrative Overheads realised under Projects.